Have you seen those super cute vinyled ornaments on Pinterest? I am sure you have~particularly if you are the proud owner of a Silhouette Cameo machine like I am! I had seen some pop up in my Pinterest feed, and I wondered if it was really as easy as cutting some vinyl and putting it on a glass ornament.
Well, I’m here to tell you that it really is! However “easy” it was for me, it did take a bit of trial and error. I decided these would be an easy, personalized gift for my Sunday School kids. By the time I was done putting vinyl and filling 6 of them, I realized why I don’t have an Etsy shop to sell these for a living LOL! Seriously, it wasn’t difficult, and I am proud of how they turned out! Check out my DIY Christmas Ornaments using a Silhouette Cameo!
To start, I needed some ornaments. I came across some at Meijer~ a box of 8 at 59% off. Score! Right in the same area were some fun embellishments to fill them with, so I grabbed some snowflake cut outs, Christmas poms, and some sparkly snow.
I set up my text in my Silhouette Designer Edition Software. I kept the fonts simple, and fairly “stocky”. By that I mean, I didn’t use any delicate cursive fonts. I wanted to keep it simple~they are for children~and I didn’t want to get discouraged if the letters tore, etc. like they do sometimes with delicate fonts.
Next, I started cutting and weeding my names. I had some Oracal 651 on hand from my Beach Buckets I had made, and I knew it would be durable. So, that is what I used. One key to success in these is having good vinyl and good transfer tape. Both of which I buy from Expressions Vinyl.
After I weeded the names and added the transfer tape, it was time to just stick it on the ornament. The first attempt, it wouldn’t stick. So I was a little discouraged. Cleaning the glass area with rubbing alcohol made a huge difference! From then on, I cleaned every one of those ornaments before adding the vinyl.
When it was time to add the vinyl, I started with the letters in the middle of the name, and smoothed out to the edges. I did have a few bubbles, but nothing that I couldn’t pick up with the pointy end of my Pick Me Up Tool and smooth out. I gently peeled the transfer tape off at an angle and they were done!
I filled them with various materials~and next year I really want to attempt glitter inside the ornament. But for my first try, it was just as easy as transferring the vinyl to the ornament!