Our mornings here have been so cool. So refreshing and fall like! I’ve been starting to get a craving for some pumpkin flavored goodies, so I decided to whip up some Pumpkin Spice Scones! Scones are so easy, and make a great treat for your morning! What I like about these Pumpkin Spice Scones is that they are moist-thanks to the pumpkin.
2 cups flour
1/4 cup plus 3 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
6 Tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
3 Tablespoons milk
1. Preheat your oven to 425. In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, and pumpkin. Set aside.
2. Using your stand mixer, with the paddle attachment, combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, salt and baking powder. Add the butter on top of the ingredients.
3. Using the mixer, or a pastry blender, cut in the butter. Your dough should resemble cornmeal.
4. Gently add the pumpkin, egg, and milk mixture to your dry ingredients.
5. In a round pie or cake pan, spread your batter. I like to bake it this way, because it allows me to cut perfect triangles to serve the scones. It also ends up being more cake like.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
For the glaze, mix 1 cup of powdered sugar and 3 Tablespoons of milk. Drizzle over the warm scones, and sprinkle with extra nutmeg or cinnamon. Yum! I’ve also made scones by rolling the batter out on a floured surface, cutting it into triangles, and baking them on a baking sheet. Since pumpkin can make batter a little sticky, I prefer to bake these in a round cake pan.
Are you a pumpkin spice fan? I know once Starbucks puts out their Pumpkin Spice Latte, I’m ready to start baking with pumpkin!