These Southwest Chicken Stuffed Peppers will be great for those hot summer nights, when you want something to grill….other than the typical burgers and chicken. We had these last week for dinner, and they were divine! I LOVE chicken fajitas in about any form….but in the grilled peppers, they were wonderful! My hubby and I are trying to cut back on the carbs, and finding recipes that are somewhat low carb, yet taste great, can take some work. I thought they wouldn’t be very filling, so I prepared a whole pepper for myself-boy was I wrong. I made it through the first half of the pepper, and I was already feeling full! But they were soooo good, I of course ate the other half!
Southwest Chicken Stuffed Peppers:
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
Juice of one lime
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
2 chicken breasts
2 bell peppers
1 onion, thinly sliced
1/2 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
Avocado, cilantro, shredded cheese, sour cream, etc.
1. Combine marinade ingredients and pour over the chicken. Allow these to marinate for at least one hour.
2. Prepare a small foil “bowl”, and add the thinly sliced onions and bell pepper. Drizzle with a little olive oil. Set the foil “bowl” on the grill, allowing the peppers and onions to cook.
3. Grill the chicken. Then, slice it or shred it, and add it to the onions and pepper, allowing all the flavors to blend together for a few minutes.
4. Slice your bell peppers in half, and lay them on the grill. Let them grill until the edges get a little soft and slightly brown.
5. Stuff the pepper halves with the chicken/pepper/onion mixture. Top with cheese, avocados, etc.
Seriously, these are so very awesome! I hope you will try them. They can’t be easier, and we didn’t feel any guilt eating them. The fresh avocado on top just totally made them even better!