Coffee cake, made with real coffee granules? What a great idea! I have not had coffee cake made with real coffee granules….until now. The husband made a comment that we didn’t really have anything for breakfast. So, in my gracious wife fashion, I put together this coffee cake before bed, and it was ready to go in the oven first thing the next morning.
*2 cups all purpose flour
*2 teaspoons instant coffee granules (this is one package of the individual serving packets you can get at the store)
*2 cups light brown sugar
*1 teaspoon cinnamon
*8 ounces low fat sour cream
*1 stick butter, sliced
*1 teaspoon baking soda
*1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped pecans
1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, coffee, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
2. Add the butter slices and cut them in with a pastry blender or a fork.
3. Press half the butter mixture in a 9×9 baking pan. (NOTE: This is where I stopped. I just covered it with a towel, and went to bed. I continued the rest in the morning before putting it in the oven).
4. Combine the baking soda and sour cream. Add this to the remaining crumb mixture.
5. Add the egg and stir until well combined.
6. Pour the sour cream mixture over the crumb crust. Sprinkle the pecans all over the top.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.