Blueberries are perfect to bake with-combined with a lemon flavor, like the glaze on this coffee cake……so good! They pair so well with so many flavors, and this Blueberry Nutmeg Coffee Cake with Lemon Glaze is no exception. I made this cake for our Lenten Supper last week, and it was a total hit-I love it when the older ladies in the congregation tell me they like my baked goods-after all, aren’t they the professionals? So we are going to start April with this Blueberry Nutmeg Coffee Cake with Lemon Glaze, and hopefully it will be part of your Easter brunch menu!
Blueberry Nutmeg Coffee Cake with Lemon Glaze Ingredients
1/3 cup butter cut into small chunks
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk or buttermilk
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cloves
2 cups blueberries
1. Heat the oven to 375 and grease and flour a bundt cake pan. In the stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar until creamy. Add the egg and continue mixing until well blended.
2. In a small bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and baking powder. Add these dry ingredients alternately with the 1 cup of milk.
3. Gently coat the blueberries in flour until lightly covered. Slowly and gently stir into the batter.
4. Pour into the bundt pan and bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. After the cake has cooled for 5 minutes, invert it and remove it from the pan. In a small bowl, whisk 2 cups confectioners sugar and 3 1/2 Tablespoons of lemon juice. Gently drizzle over the cake and allow to finish cooling. Serve immediately.
What fruit is your favorite to use in baking? Do you have a favorite blueberry recipe? I hope you will enjoy this spring dessert at your Easter brunch this year!